Landing page optimization is improving the elements on the landing page to increase its performance on the search engine. Businesses face challenges when trying to optimize landing pages for their website and achieving their marketing objective with it. Landing pages are the web pages where viewers are redirected upon clicking a search engine result link. Landing pages aim to inform the viewers about specific products and services and convince them to take action. Even after spending time and effort on creating an effective landing page, it may not rank. This is due to a lack of SEO-optimized landing pages. Let us learn more about the importance of landing page optimization using SEO.
What is SEO, and how does it work?
When you search for queries on search engines, for example, “Popular MBA courses”, you will get a list of results that you can click and visit to get more information. Ever wondered how those pages pop on your screen or why some other page did not rank in the top search engine result page? Well, the credit goes to SEO! Search engine optimization (SEO) is a digital marketing practice of improving the health of a website by optimizing it for the search engine. Businesses with a brand website indulge in SEO practices to improve the performance of their website and rank them on search engines such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, and many more.
So, let’s address your query: how does SEO work? Search engine optimization branches into various types: local SEO, technical SEO, on-page SEO and off-page SEO. SEO aims to improve the online visibility of brands. This is done by
- Identifying and fixing broken backlinks.
- Optimizing website content using appropriate and adequate keywords.
- Updating content based on requirements from time to time.
- Landing page optimization, improving website loading speed, and using graphics.
- Gaining backlinks from websites with high authority.
- Identifying competitors and building strategies to stay ahead of their websites.
Through combined efforts of various types of SEO and following the best SEO practices, businesses and digital marketing agencies can work to improve the ranking of the website on SERP.
What is a landing page?
A landing page is a standalone web page designed to redirect viewers to it whenever they make an action, such as clicking on search engine ads, following email ads, or swiping up on social media ads. Every landing page is a separate entity with a different location than the original brand website. It is created to inform viewers about the offer, products, or services for which they clicked on the ad or link. So, suppose you click on ads or any search engine result link. In that case, you will be redirected to an independent webpage that gives you adequate information to clarify your queries and strives to turn potential leads into customers. Businesses often hire online marketing companies to create a fully optimized landing page to increase conversion rate. Landing pages can be optimized using SEO strategies, but how? Let us delve into it.
What are SEO-optimised landing pages?
SEO is used for landing page optimization by adding features that help display the landing page in a good light in front of the search engine algorithm. SEO Optimize Landing page helps in improving customer experience and, at the same time, makes it easier for the search engine to notice it and improve the ad score in Google Ads. The purpose of the landing page is to convert the generated leads into customers. Businesses often focus more on their digital marketing campaigns and skip optimizing the landing page using SEO. But before we get into answering how to optimize a landing page using SEO, let us look at the elements of a landing page.
What content should be on a landing page?
It is essential to understand the elements of a landing page to create SEO strategies to optimize it. The components of a landing page contribute to the success of social media marketing or other ad campaigns. The landing page content includes-
- Unique selling proposition (USP)- When the viewer clicks on your ad and gets redirected to the landing page, they are looking for something that appeals to them and is worthy of the click. The USP should be designed to set you apart from the other competitors. The headline, supporting headline, and reinforcing statement are parts of a USP that must be written in a catchy yet informative manner.
- Visual element- Landing pages must have elaborative videos, graphics, or infographics that evoke an emotion in the audience and increase landing page retention. The graphics must align with your heading and add to its intent.
- Personalise benefits- Apart from the visual and descriptive elements, it is essential to personally explain to the viewer the importance of the product or service being displayed. The description used in the landing page must be convincing enough to solve all queries and positively impact the viewer.
- Social proof- Landing pages with proof of good user experience, such as reviews, testimonials, logos of reputed clients, and case studies, play an active role in creating engagement by generating credibility.
- Call to action- Since the ultimate goal of the landing page is to convert viewers into customers, it must have a well-designed call to action (CTA) button. It must not be bland and use conversational language to engage viewers and appeal to them. CTA buttons can be rechecked while the A/B landing page testing to see if they work.
What is the need for SEO-optimized landing pages?
The best SEO landing pages can increase organic traffic to the website and enhance website ranking. Although SEO is a time-consuming digital marketing practice, it yields long-term results. SEO landing pages target organic traffic for lead generation to enhance digital marketing results. Every element of the landing page is optimized based on SEO practices such as keyword optimization, content modification, and using different tools to track the landing page’s performance. Without SEO, the landing page may have the highest quality content, but it will still fail to reach the target audience. Lack of target keywords, high website loading speed, and high ad rank lead to poor online visibility and less lead generation.
What is the difference between SEO and PPC landing page?
SEO and PPC (pay-per-click) are digital marketing strategies digital marketers use to improve lead generation and drive sales. SEO vs PPC is often a topic of discussion for businesses, but both have their benefits and can be used in collaboration to yield effective marketing results. Let us know more about the SEO landing page vs the PPC landing page.
|SEO Landing Page
|PPC Landing Page
|Source of Traffic
|They are optimised to attract organic or non-paid traffic.
|Designed to attract traffic from paid advertisements.
|Goal of landing page
|Improve website ranking on search engine result page.
|Improves conversion and lead generation for higher return on investment.
|SEO takes time to display results but gives sustained visibility.
|PPC advertisements offer quick results, therefore, PPC landing pages lead to faster conversions.
PPC is a faster way to grow your business than SEO, but it requires significant investment. Avoiding mistakes while running ad campaigns to extract maximum benefits is essential.
Reasons why a landing page does not rank
Businesses often struggle trying to rank their landing page but struggle with a lack of landing page optimisation. It may be due to many reasons-
- When you use your website homepage as a landing page instead of creating a standalone landing page, chances are that it may not rank.
- If the title tag on the landing page is duplicated or too short, it impacts the ranking of landing pages.
- Header tags do not contain relevant keywords or are not arranged numerically. H1, H2 and so on are the chronology for header tags based on their relevance in the content.
- If the landing page lacks a meta-description or the given meta-description is not engaging enough to convince visitors.
- Keyword distribution inside the content is necessary. If your content lacks keywords within the first 150 words, it becomes difficult for search engines to rank it.
- Lack of mobile optimization for landing pages.
- Slow loading speed for landing page due to poor optimization of graphics and CTA buttons.
How do I create an SEO landing page?
Online marketing companies or businesses aiming for landing page optimization using SEO must follow these steps.
- Identifying relevant keywords- Not every keyword can deliver the expected results. It is essential to use the right keyword research strategies to appeal to the search engine and user. SEO specialists have a working idea of using keywords to drive traffic to the website and select from a list of keywords to assist the marketing objective. While some keywords are informative, others are transactional. Make a list of top-ranking keywords on your competitor’s landing page, and find related keywords using various keyword research tools.
- Check keyword volume and competition- Identifying the right keywords does not suffice for optimizing the landing page. Before finalizing the keywords, check for their volume and potential to attract more traffic. If their competition is too high, it is possible that the landing page may not rank. Select keywords with low to medium competition.
- Prioritise search intent- Based on your marketing objective, which can range between improving website traffic, online visibility, and lead generation, have clarity about the intent of the landing page. Add tools, templates, CTA buttons, forms, and other features based on necessity. The content must also be designed accordingly.
- On-page SEO- Landing page optimisation by SEO experts ensures that the page contains all SEO-optimized features such as title tag, meta-description, header tags, subheadings, graphics, alt text, etc. This on-page SEO checklist will take you closer to an optimized landing page.
- Creating an optimized URL- An SEO-friendly URL structure is necessary for landing pages. The URL of the landing page must be short and have the focus keyword in it. Since the competition for keywords is high, you must build backlinks to reach your target customers.
Landing page optimization using SEO audit tools to get better results. Businesses must understand the importance of landing pages and use best practices in SEO for landing pages.
Banyanbrain is an internet marketing company in India that offers high-quality online marketing services, including search engine optimization and pay-per-click advertising. Our team is expert in providing the desired results.